Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Does the notion of "doing good" need to equal "being poor?" I would certainly hope not, but it's definitely the message I get from the latest Parsons job & internship fair "Careers with a Conscience." Don't get me wrong - I think the initiative is fantastic. And I think, ultimately that it is VERY IDC, but when I see the list of participating companies headed by The Peace Corps, and followed by a long list of names ending in 'foundation' or 'institute,' or including 'nurture' and 'green' well I just wonder if "doing good" is sexy enough for the young designers-in-training who are our students?

So...where are those corporate, money-making, sexy, institutions that will attract our students and yet, still allow them to "do good?"

p.s. The poster for "Careers with a Conscience" is beautifully designed. I guess that's a step in the right direction.

No comments: